Denise T. Dauphin
Ms. Dauphin is a Principal and Intellectual Property Practice Leader with AEA Group, a specialized professional services firm that provides consulting involving accounting, economics and appraisal issues. Her engagements have included those having to do with issues involving valuations, contracts, employment, mergers and acquisitions, fiduciary duties, forensic investigations and fraudulent conveyances. She has developed a specialty in intellectual property issues involving patents, trademarks, trade dress, trade secrets and copyrights. She has testified in deposition, trial and in bankruptcy proceedings.
Ms. Dauphin has held several senior financial management positions for both publicly and privately held firms within a variety of industries. She started her career with Southern New England Telephone Company where she spent four years within the operations analysis and internal audit functions. She then spent ten years with General Signal Corporation, a diversified NYSE manufacturing company, where her experiences included functioning as CFO for a group of international distribution concerns, directing the SEC and shareholder reporting, managing a team in internal audits of 44 subsidiaries, negotiating complex transactions, designing and implementing cost accounting systems and implementing systems for resource planning and requirements, manufacturing, distribution and accounting functions. She spent seven years with Coopers & Lybrand, L.L.P. in the Financial Advisory Services group focused upon providing consulting services involving disputes, valuations, acquisitions, investments and other accounting and consulting areas. For the four years prior to joining AEA Group in 2002, she was a shareholder and Chief Operating Officer of Phillips Hitchner, a litigation and valuation consulting firm.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Certified Licensing Professional (CLP), Licensing Executives Society
Professional & Business Affiliations
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Licensing Executives Society
- Associate Member, American Bar Association
- Panel of Neutrals, American Arbitration Association
- Member, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Bachelor of Science in Economics, Fairfield University
- Masters of Business Administration in Marketing, University of New Haven
Community & Civic Affiliations
- Board of Directors (2005 to present) - Women’s Fund of Greater Birmingham – a non-profit component fund of the Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham which through strategic grant-making and advocacy is committed to creating positive change in the lives of Birmingham’s women and girls.
- President of the Board – 2010
- President –Elect – 2009
- Treasurer of the Board of Directors – 2007/2008
- Board of Directors (2004 to Present) - National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Alabama/ Mississippi – a non-profit organization which provides services to those with the disease and raises funds in support of research to find a cure.
- Member of the Finance Committee – 2009
- Executive Committee – member at large 2008/2009
- Chair of the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors – 2004 through 2008
- Board of Directors (2009 to Present) -YMCA – Birmingham Metropolitan – a non-profit organization that supports health for individuals and families, developing healthy, whole kids, and strengthening families in spirit, mind and body.
- Board of Directors (1994 – 2002) - Atlanta Women’s Foundation – a non-profit organization which through strategic grant-making, advocacy and capacity building efforts is committed to creating positive change in the lives of Atlanta’s women and girls.
- Executive Committee of the Board of Directors – 2000 through 2002
- Chair of the Board and Executive Committee – 1998 through 2000
- Treasurer of the Board of Directors - 1994 through 1998
- Board of Directors (1998 – 2002) - National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Georgia – a non-profit organization which provides services to those with the disease and raises funds in support of research to find a cure.
- Treasurer of the Board of Directors – 1998 through 2002
- Board of Directors (1996 – 1998) - Georgia’s Campaign Against Teen Pregnancy (GCAP) – a non-profit organization that funded organizations that provided education and other programs for the prevention of teen pregnancy.
- Executive Advisory Board - YWCA Atlanta (1996) – a non-profit organization that provided a wide range of services to women and families in the community.
- “Financial Damages in Product Liability”,Product Liability, November 2000
- “Royalties as Economic Damages Remedies”,The Licensing Journal, April 2002
- “Determining Reasonable Royalty Rates Using Comparable Transactions”,The Licensing Journal, June/July 2002
- “Considerations in Determining the Value of Trademarks”,The Licensing Journal, November/December 2002
- “Royalties for Copyright Infringement Damages”,The Licensing Journal, February 2003