J. Lester Alexander, III
Mr. Alexander is the Founder and Managing Principal of AEA Group. He is a former partner of PwC and former southeastern practice leader of one of its legacy firm's consulting practices. Mr. Alexander has practiced for more than thirty-four years performing audit, tax and consulting services. In recent years Mr. Alexander has concentrated his practice in the areas of fraud investigation, forensic accounting and valuation consulting services.
Mr. Alexander has provided services and, from time to time, expert testimony in Federal and state courts and in situations involving alternative dispute resolution. He has provided testimony in connection with contract disputes, mortgage servicing rights issues, security issues, insurance coverage issues, non-compete agreements, business combination agreements, lost profits, business valuation, and various other matters. He has testified in Federal court and state courts in connection with class action certification hearings and class action fairness hearings. In addition, Mr. Alexander's experience includes testimony about risk management practices and standards of care in auditing, operating and controlling business assets and activities. Mr. Alexander has concentrated experience in the insurance, banking, healthcare, and construction industries.
He is experienced in and has provided business valuation, acquisition due diligence, financial advisory, tax advisory, investment advisory, forensic accounting, fraud investigation, cash tracing and cost accounting services. He has evaluated the value of ownership interests in businesses in connection with acquisitions, disposals and disputes. He has performed suitability studies in connection with investment transactions in a wide range of financial instruments. He has traced the flow of cash and determined the sources and uses of funds. In addition, he has performed incremental cost studies, contribution margin studies and other applications of cost accounting for clients in connection with new products, acquisitions, patent valuations and evaluation of trademarks. This experience includes making projections of incremental revenues and costs in connection with profitability analysis of proposed business ventures, new products and other profitability analysis for companies.
Throughout his career Mr. Alexander has advised governing bodies, committees and senior management on their role in risk management and oversight activities of companies. His clients have included publicly-traded companies, privately-held companies, governmental entities and tax-exempt entities. He has advised governing bodies overseeing companies in the start-up/growth, mature and restructuring phases of operational development. He has performed these services for governing bodies overseeing companies operating in a variety of industries.
Mr. Alexander has performed determinations of solvency; determined financial feasibility of turnaround plans; investigated potentially fraudulent transfers made by debtors; analyzed preferential payments to creditors; analyzed the course of dealings between debtor/creditor; and valued the consideration received when a debtor transfers assets. Mr. Alexander has testified in court as an expert witness concerning solvency, fraudulent transfers, preference payments, ordinary course of business, reasonably equivalent value, cash/collateral tracing, lost profits, business valuation and records reconstruction.
Further, Mr. Alexander has been appointed Trustee of both Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Estates, where he made solvency determinations, pursued recoveries (including adversary proceedings in Federal and State courts) and performed the routine duties of both a Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee. Creditors and Trustees have engaged Mr. Alexander to review financial feasibility of plans of reorganization, investigate insider transactions, value businesses and to evaluate loan collateral. Mr. Alexander has served as a lead advisor for various financial institutions in connection with their underwriting and credit/investment evaluation activities. In addition, Mr. Alexander has conducted auctions and assisted others in evaluating competitive bids received in auction.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV)
Professional & Business Affiliations
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Associate Member, American Bar Association
- Member of Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Steward Machine Co, Inc.
- Former Website Editor, Commercial & Business Litigation Subcommittee of the Litigation Section of the American Bar Association
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, University of Alabama
Community & Civic Affiliations
- President of Board of Directors, the Bell Center for Early Intervention Programs
- Member, Birmingham Monday Morning Quarterback Club
- “High Profile Frauds Exposed: The Common Success Attributes of Big Money Fraudsters and What Led to their Demise”, 2010 Cumberland Law School Continuing Legal Education Series
- “Fraud Risk Assessments: Antifraud Programs & Enterprise Risk Management”, 2007 Accounting & Auditing Update by Lorman Seminars
- “Construction Claims”, 2007 Construction Contracting Claims Seminar by Lorman Seminars
- “Construction Claims”, 2006 Construction Contracting Claims Seminar by Lorman Seminars
- “Financial Damages”, 2004 Cumberland Law School Continuing Education Seminar
- “Financial and Business Fraud Schemes”, 2004 Corporate Counsel Seminar
- “Detecting Fraud Schemes”, 2003 Fall Bankruptcy Seminar, Alabama Bar Continuing Education Series
- “Accountant's View of Sarbanes Oxley”, 2003 Seminar, Alabama Bar Continuing Education Series
- “Online Fraud Prevention”, 2002 Institute of Management Accountants
- “Forensic Computer Investigation”, 2001 Discovery Seminar, Alabama Bar Continuing Education Series
- “Online Business & Financial Research Methods”, 2001 Federation of Insurance & Corporate Counsel's Internet University
- “Identifying and Investigating Fraud”, 2001 Institute of Management Accountants
- “Online Discovery”, 2001 Defense Research Institute's Annual Meeting of Young Lawyers
- “Online Expert Witness Research”, 2001 Louisiana State Bar 17th Summer School for Lawyers
- “Expert Witness Research Post Kumho Tire”, 2000 American Bar Association Annual Meeting
- “Interpreting Financial Statements”, 1999 National Judicial College
- “Consumer Fraud Issues”, 1997 Coopers & Lybrand National Banking Conference